Wolves go for a swim in Florida

Photos courtesy of Ryan Depew

Last week, the Grandview Varsity Baseball team got the chance to play against high ranking teams in Florida.

“It was a trip of a lifetime, I got to hang out with my best friends and play the game I love,” said junior Tony Castonguay.

Grandview faced tough pitching competition in Florida.

“Their pitching staff definitely put us to the ground with our hitting side,” said sophomore Ryan Depew.

With new competition, the team was able to learn how and where their skills needed to be improved.

“I think we’re gonna get a better approach on our pitching,” said Depew. “I think that the mental game on pitching and our pitching staff is gonna create a lot of good games.”

With such skilled teams in Florida, Grandview had a rough start to the season and lost 3 out of 4 games in Florida.

“They had a couple of D1 commits that we faced,” said senior Matt Hamilton. “They were pretty good.”

Despite a rough start, the team were able to overcome their losing streak and win their last game.

“We struggled a little bit in the beginning and then we finally came together as a team and we won our last game,” said Castonguay.

Even though they faced tough competition, it didn’t stop them from enjoying their trip.

“The best part was probably just the team bonding part, riding in vans together and going to Universal together on Tuesday,” said Hamilton.

With a whole season in front of them, the Grandview Varsity Baseball team has big things in store for this season.

“I feel like we have a good chance of winning state this year and I think we are ready to succeed,” said Castonguay.