Participation Nation

Participation+Nation

Photos Courtesy of Brisen Wright

Wish Week was one to remember, and proved the amazing culture that Grandview High School has to offer. That week, was Hawk’s week.

Wish Week started strong with Boys’ Volleyball. While our opponent, Cherokee Trail, did prove victorious in all three matches, the participants were happy to help the cause.

“[I joined] to be apart of something, and obviously wanted to bring people to support Hawk,” said senior, Jaime Luna.

The game did not just offer entertainment for the parents and students, but was a great experience for the senior boys.

“Boys Volleyball is just different. It’s not something everyone is used to watching,” said Luna. “I felt like it was going to be fun to play a different sport than the one I am used to, with my friends, and it was.”

On Tuesday, we celebrated Hawk’s love for basketball by wearing basketball jerseys, and ended the day with a dodgeball tournament.

Wednesday was Tacky Tourist day, and was commemorated with Miss Grandview. The Grandview girls showed up in style, with one contestant dressing up as a dinosaur and another as a cow.

Fun events like these are so important because they offer the Miracle Minute, where onlookers shove money into a bin as quick as they can to donate to the Wish Kid.

At the end of the week there was the Wish Week assembly, where Boys Poms got to perform for Hawk, along with cheer, Girls Poms, and one person from each grade that was chosen for the Riff Off.

Hawk especially seemed to love the Boys versus Girls Poms battle. The boys were entertaining to watch as they danced to a Disney music compilation.

Unfortunately though, the group struggled coming together with low sign ups and a sudden drop out from some senior boys, leaving only two seniors on the team.

Yana Baravik, coach of the boys team, comments on the small senior participation.

“It’s usually a tradition that the junior and senior girls on varsity [coach], but since the seniors ended up not having enough people, it was just [the juniors],” said Baravik.

Regardless, the Boys Poms did a great job, and definitely put a smile on Hawk’s face.

“It adds more spirit, it made [the assembly] more fun, it involved the student body more, and the dance was dedicated to Hawk,” said boys’ pom, Noah Turbyfill.

Everyone interviewed said they would recommend participation next year. So, while Wish Week was unforgettable in 2019, let’s make 2020 even better, and make the rest of 2019 one to remember.

Make sure to get involved to show how proud you are to be a wolf!

To find more information about the dodgeball tournament, click here