Diving into the Season

“Take your mark. BEEP!” The sound of the start buzzer provides a rush of adrenaline to any swimmer, but Grandview’s girls swim team managed to overcome their nerves to start off this year’s season off with a bang their first meet of the year, where they achieved their first victory, winning 266-94 against Eaglecrest.

Upon walking into the pool, it was clear through the excited buzz of athletes and the animated cheers of parents that this season will be one to remember.

“I’m super excited for more of the team bonding events! Since the team is so big this year there’s a lot of new girls I can meet,” said Sophomore Julia Matney.

Avery Robertson, a diver returning to the sport after recovering from a surgery, agrees.

“I think that this year is going to be really great with all of the amazing new divers we have on our team”, said Robertson.

The start of a new season gives the athletes a chance to improve as a team with team bonding events and new friendships, but the start to a new season is also an opportunity for self growth.

“I’m definitely excited to continue to progress with my diving and I’m hoping by the end of the season to be able to compete in the 11 dive meet,” said Robertson.

An optimistic mindset helped lead the team to first place against Eaglecrest, but most importantly, helped the swimmers start improving from last season.

“This meet was the first time I was swimming fly in a meet as my stroke,” said Sophomore Sydney McDaniel, who has been swimming for two years with the team. “Last year my best stroke was backstroke, but this year it’s fly. I  dropped one second off my 50 fly, and two seconds off my 100 fly.”

McDaniel isn’t the only one happy with the results of the meet.

I think that this year is going to be really great with all of the amazing new divers we have on our team.

“I did really well! Today I went a 1:23.53 on my 100 breast,” said Matney on achieving her best time this season, which is close to her personal record.

Although the meet was a great start to the season, the athletes can all agree that they have room for improvement.

“[One thing I would like to improve is] definitely my back somersault,” said Robertson.  “Last season I actually hit my head on the board from doing it, and it had made some challenges with my progression rate on every dive I do.”

Based on the success of their first meet, this season will be one for the books as the swim team continues to work hard and try to reach their full potential both personally and as a team.