Forced Forfeit

Forced+Forfeit

A surprising turn of events in varsity lacrosse spring season.

Since the beginning of the spring season, Varsity Boys Lacrosse has been practicing day in and day out, most with the goal of winning the championship at the end. However, due to an unforeseen mishap, the chances of winning championship was snatched away.

Right before entering playoffs, Grandview’s Varsity Lacrosse had high hopes for making it to the post season. Their win against Monarch put them securely into that 16th spot for the State Championship tournament. Unfortunately, an ineligible student had participated in the game, leading to a forced forfeit for the rest of the season.

Whether the student’s ineligibility was known to himself or the coach is unclear at this time.

Once the ineligibility of the student was discovered, the incident was reported to CHSAA, the Colorado High School Activities Association. CHSAA then decided that Grandview’s Lacrosse team was to forfeit, in accordance with the CHSAA bylaws, which state “If a principal’s designee or coach certifies or permits any ineligible contestant or player suspended from competition to participate, then all games in which the contestant participated shall be forfeited.”

Conversely, the team could have faced harsher punishments, as the bylaw also states, “The coach and/or team may be placed on probation for one calendar year from the date of the infraction.”

It’s really unfortunate that either the decision of one person or one student or one coach can affect the entire team. It’s really unfair to the rest of the team.

“It’s really unfortunate that either the decision of one person or one student or one coach can affect the entire team. It’s really unfair to the rest of the team,” said Grandview Principal Dr. Lisa Sprague

Athletic director Wes Smock declined to comment for the time being, and The Chronicle is open to an interview or added perspective with either the athletic director, coach or athlete.

In order to decrease the likelihood of this ever happening again, it is important for the athletic department to continue its efficient communication with coaches and consequently student athletes, but also to add more emphasis upon coaches to make their student’s eligibility and the consequences that result if disobeyed clearer.

It is not the ideal way to end the season, and the academic year as a whole, especially for those finishing up their senior year. Giving your all in your last season to lose it over a technicality has got to sting. It is important to take action to ensure that an event such as this does not reoccur, allowing for a fresh perspective to take place in returning athletes and coaches.