Grandview High School Varsity Football: A Season of Triumphs and Challenges

Grandview Wolves defeat Eaglecrest in our Homecoming game, in a nail biter which ended off 39-32. Photo: Evan Deickman

Grandview High School’s Varsity Football team wrapped off its 2023 season with an incredible journey filled with courage, perseverance, and friendship. Leaving a lasting legacy of resilience on the field and an enduring impression on the hearts of spectators.

“It was a tough season,” Coach Davis said. “The boys played great, however there’s always room for improvement and in the future we hope to be able to build a better squad.”

With Coach Doherty and his coaching staff working nonstop to shape a squad of both seasoned veterans and aspiring recruits, the season started with great hopes and expectations. 

“We were off to a strong start but I will say the boys got a little inconsistent at times, but they never were unfocused.” Davis said. 

Throughout the season, the Grandview Wolves played against strong opposition, proving their strength and ability to endure throughout a number of close games.

The team’s offense, led by star quarterback Liam Szarka, was a force to be reckoned with. 

Szarka’s precise passes and strategic decision-making kept Grandview in the lead in many games.

Running back Chris Blanks also shined brightly, weaving through opposing defenses with 

agility and speed.

“Liam is our star. I’ve been working here for quite a while now and he is easily the most talented we’ve had come through here in a while.” Davis said. “We’ve had a few standouts and were excited about the young talent Chris Blanks that we landed.” 

However, the season was not without its challenges.

Injuries tested the team’s depth, forcing younger players to step up and prove their strength on the field. Despite setbacks, the Wolves maintained their resilience, turning adversity into opportunities for growth.

“Although there were many rocky concussions and fractures during the season, the Grandview Wolves are one pack and when one person is down we always have someone else step up,” sophomore Ed Martin said.

The Grandview Wolves are all very motivated athletes who all have drive and vision to win by any means possible.

“We had some downs and we had some ups but at the end of the day, work hard, go out there and deliver.” senior Amad Seron said.

The thrilling overtime victory over Eaglecrest, one of their fiercest rivals, amid our homecoming week festivities, was one of the season’s highlights. 

Grandview was electrified as the entire school came together to watch the exciting match that culminated in a touchdown that won the game.

“This year we came different for playoffs” said sophomore Ed Martin

The Wolves earned their spot in the playoffs, where they encountered more formidable opposition, as the regular season went on. The team’s cohesion and unshaka

Donovan Mitchell after scoring a tiebreaker in a clutch playoff series game. Photo: Vincent J. Kobek

ble dedication were evident, and their combined willpower got them to the second-round playoff match.

“The plan is to go out there and deliver” said Ed Martin

In a hard-fought battle against Chatfield, Grandview High School’s Varsity Football team ultimately fell short of hope, and lost their chances of making it to the championship. 

The loss, however, did little to hinder the team’s achievements and the pride they brought to their community.

“It was a tough loss, we could’ve played better and it was a shame for us to go out so early.” sophomore Ed Martin said.

Even though the Grandview Wolves did not win the title, their season will live on in the memories of the incredible experiences, the development of young players, and the unwavering spirit that characterized their journey. 

Grandview High School and the surrounding community are looking forward to more football triumphs next year as the season is now at end. 

“We may be losing a lot of talent and a lot of passion but the wolves are one pack, so don’t worry we’ll be back!” Davis said. 

View Comments (1)