Inaugural Grandview Hall of Fame Class

Karisma Flowers

Dipping into the rich history of the blue, black, and white, reveals a culture that shows inside the classroom, and outside the classroom; on the court, and off the court; while at Grandview, and after their time at Grandview, the pack mentality throughout 26 successful years is strong.   

The legacy of five Grandview alumni who made everlasting impacts during, and after, their time walking the halls was honored on Thursday, February 15, 2024.  Erik Peterson (class of 2018), Eddie Yarbrough (class of 2011), Patty Childress (1998-2016), Michaela Onyenwere (class of 2017), and Kevin Gausman (class of 2011) were celebrated as they were inducted into the first Grandview Hall of Fame Class.  The Class of 2023.

Nominees were introduced by Mrs. Ulitsky, who was pivotal in helping prepare and set up the ceremony and highlighted their accomplishments and the reasons for their selection.  Before each speaker, a video was compiled of photos showcasing the character and achievements of the nominees.  Nominees also selected someone important in their life to talk about their character, before finally taking the stage and talking about themselves. 

As the video played, Gary Childress, Patty Childress’ husband, walked to the podium.  Patty Childress taught 18 years at Grandview, which also happened to be the school’s first 18.  In her tenure as head volleyball coach, she led the Wolves to 10 state championship appearances, ending five seasons with first-place hardware to bring home.  

It was a true honor to get hired at Grandview to start with… [Patty and I] went through all the coaching woes together,” Gary Childress said.  

Gary Childress coached Boys Basketball, leading the Wolves to three Final Four appearances, though none ending in any awards.  

The pride that I feel from [being a wolf] is just unbelievable.” Patty Childress said. 

She reminisced about her accomplishments of bringing the school its first non-spirit state championship. 

The first one was very memorable…” 

Childress led Grandview to the state championship game in 2004, getting retribution from Doherty, defeating them in 4 sets.  The year prior, Doherty beat Childress’ Wolves in the state championship, coming to a deciding 5th set.  

It’s definitely in our blood…I was there 16 years, she was there 18, and the best years of our careers were spent at Grandview.”  

Gary and Patty helped build Grandview into the perennial powerhouse it is today and helped the school open its doors over 25 years ago. The contributions of Patty Childress have not gone unrecognized.  

From the court to the stage, Erik Peterson was the second induction of the night.  He selected Brianna Lindhal to introduce him to the stage.  Erik plays Scorpius Malfoy in Broadway’s Harry Potter and the Cursed Child, and fitting to his character, Mrs. Lindhal spoke in a British accent with Harry Potter music in the background. 

To be recognized for the hard work that I have put in to build my young career is really meaningful,” Erik Peterson said.  

Peterson, who graduated in the class of 2018, is the youngest of the inductees.  Yet, the pride for his school runs deep.  

It means you’re part of a pack,” Peterson said.  

Whether or not he is in costume, Erik has had a lasting impact on future and former Wolves, and actors.  

I would say he embodies what happens when you give 110% all of the time… he was also such a leader and was so supportive of other people…” Lindahl said.  

From Mrs. Lindhal’s production of Beauty and the Beast at Chaparral High School, casting 5-year-old Erik as Little Boy Chip, to Erik’s senior year, Mrs. Lindhal has high praise. 

He’s an amazing human being.” 

For Erik, the lessons he learned while being a Wolf have stayed with him for his life and his career on Broadway.  Peterson continues to follow his deep-rooted passion for theater and the sharing of stories, and he got to share his story as part of the inaugural Grandview Hall of Fame Class. 

Eddie Yarbrough is a football defensive end who played at the University of Wyoming and with the Buffalo Bills and Minnesota Vikings in the NFL.  Mr. Smock, his former football head coach, introduced him to the stage. 

He really is like a family member to me that I truly love,” Smock said.  

Mr. Smock shared memories of Yarbrough spending time with his children and the impact that he had on them. Yarbrough was the last inductee in attendance to be honored.  And the moment wasn’t lost on him, 

“To be honored on such a stage and in something that’s gonna be immortalized is priceless, and almost something that words can’t describe,” Yarbrough said.  

Yarbrough was the last inductee in attendance to be honored.  While his achievements on the field are impressive, his personality and the heart he has shines through.  

If I had to embody what Grandview High School is all about … [Eddie is] kinda that representative of it,” Smock said.  

Making it to the NFL is hard, and Yarbrough was honored by being part of the inaugural Grandview Hall of Fame class for playing 31 games with the Buffalo Bills and 7 with the Minnesota Vikings between 2017-2021.

While the achievements of these very special alumni can speak for themselves, Grandview is the place that fostered that success.  And their pride and gratitude show.  

“It means everything.  It’s just truly a blessing and an honor.” Yarbrough said.  “The most valuable thing that I learned during my time at Grandview was, community or a pack mentality.” 

What I really learned was how to build meaningful friendships… and I think that’s something that I experienced at Grandview,” Peterson said. 

“…to watch Grandview grow… I’m very proud,”  Patty Childress said.  

Two other nominees were not able to make the induction.  Michaela Onyenwere (class of 2017) was playing basketball overseas in Turkey, and Kevin Gausman (class of 2011) was reporting for MLB Spring Training.  Both had their achievements celebrated by the board in a quick speech of their accomplishments, and both plan to attend future induction ceremonies.  

Michaela Onyenwere averaged 21.8 points per game and 10.1 rebounds in her four years on the basketball court, including two trips to the Final Four, and a dominant state championship in 2017.  On the track, she was the runner-up in the 100 meters in 2015 and 2016, where she finally won first place in the 4×200 and 4×400 relays to another state title.  Drafted fourth overall by the New York Liberty in the WNBA, she won Rookie of the Year in 2021.  

Kevin Gausman still holds the Grandview single-season strikeout record with 76, set in 2010.  After being selected in the sixth round of the 2010 MLB Draft, Gausman was selected to continue playing baseball at the Louisiana State University, being selected fourth overall to the Baltimore Orioles.  In the 2022 season, Gausman was selected to his second All-Star Game and led the American League in strikeouts.  

Submissions opened last year.  The public was invited to nominate students and staff who graduated or completed service at least five years ago; those who demonstrated high moral character, outstanding citizenship, and the ideals that support the mission of the Cherry Creek School District; also made valuable contributions and had outstanding accomplishments in their respective sport and/or activity during their time at Grandview.  Submissions were reviewed by a board of current and former faculty, staff, coaches, and community members, who narrowed the selection to the five aforementioned nominees.  

In the last 26 years, Grandview’s Wolf Pack has seen a few students with astounding accomplishments rise to the top and lead the way for future Wolves.  The reflection forever etched in history can be a guiding light to be commemorated.