Meredith Latchaw: Unless

Remembering Meredith Latchaw

“Unless, someone like you cares a whole awful lot, nothing is going to get better. It’s not. ”- Lorax 

Anybody who has walked through L212 has heard Meredith Latchaw often use this quote from the Lorax, as she believed that her students had the power to change the world if they cared a whole awful lot.

Her job was to instruct AP Environmental Science and Physics, but she strove to foster an admiration and understanding of the world. 

She taught Juniors and Seniors, but everybody deserves to understand who she was.

A teacher like Mrs. Latchaw…

“[Didn’t] just teach about the environment, she advocated for protecting it,” senior Peyton Schaal said. “Being in her class was very inspiring.”

“She loved nature and would try to teach us things that were actually useful…I’m more mindful about how much energy and water I’m using because of her,” said former student Ranjan Sigdel.

“We went on a field trip where we helped out with the Wildlands Restoration Volunteers organization,” said Schaal. “It was an incredible learning [experience] from the volunteers and getting to make a difference alongside them.” 

She dedicated herself to learning an entirely different subject for her students, “One summer, as our kids swam in the pool, the two of us sat on the pool deck and did physics all summer,” said Tari Woods, a physics teacher.

Someone like Mrs. Latchaw left an impact on every student who walked through her doors…

“Mrs. Latchaw was one of the nicest people I’ve ever met,” former student James Herbert said, “[After] having my surgery, before asking about [school] work or how long I was going to be on crutches, she asked me about how I felt. She helped me come up with a plan to finish all my other make up work, and not for just her class.”

“[She] was truly just a great overall person and someone who’s aura just radiated kindness,” said Herbert.

Someone like Mrs. Latchaw was family…

“I would have not done [a triathlon] if she had not asked me to. It wasn’t something at the time I thought I could do and we had both encouraged each other… She was a great encouraging teammate,” said Rachel Narcissi, a math teacher. 

“She touched everybody she met… she was that type of person that when you spoke with her she made everybody feel special, she made everyone feel heard,” said Narcissi.

“I was pregnant with my last pregnancy, and Mrs. Latchaw couldn’t drive because she was on special medicine,” said Mrs. Wood. “After I had the babies, they were wheeling me out, and I’m like Merideth! And she’s like Tari! I had a fever and I couldn’t hold them yet, and she went: I got it. She held my babies before I did. That’s just who we were.”

“When my sister’s called and they were like Tari you’re closer to her than you are to us, and they were so worried about me,” added Mrs. Wood.

“When we had a [big setback], the Latchaw’s had us over every week for dinner,” said Kathryn Borman, math teacher.

“She bought my wedding gift 4 years before my actual wedding,” said Borman.

Latchaw met Borman’s boyfriend, now husband, and knew that they were meant to be together. 

Mrs. Latchaw left a huge impact on everybody who knew her, but even if you didn’t know her, her legacy is vital for everyone to know…

“Unless we remember her, unless we each do our part for the environment, her message is forgotten, and we can’t let that happen,” said Mrs. Wood.

Some resources she would want everybody to know about:

Wildland Restoration Volunteers 

“A Colorado nonprofit that provides opportunities for people to come together, learn about their natural environment, and take direct action to restore and care for the land.” -Wlrv.org

Volunteers for Outdoor Colorado

“VOC works with conservation and land agencies and relies on thousands of people annually to provide a volunteer workforce for outdoor stewardship projects.” -Voc.org

Colorado Youth Corps Association

“The Colorado Youth Corps Association aspires to be the leader in conservation and service and empowers corps to change lives statewide.” -Cyca.org

Western Resource Advocates 

Western Resource Advocates protects the West’s land, air, and water to ensure that vibrant communities exist in balance with nature.” -WesternResourceAdvocates.org