Everyone Say, “Colorado”!

I’m a giraffe!

The older I get, the more I realize I fit the Colorado stereotype pretty well. I can name many craft beers from Colorado, am constantly amazed by every Colorado sunset and hardly bat an eye when it’s 60 degrees in March. I walk and talk like I am from Colorado. Funny enough, being at DECA state made me feel even more Coloradan than ever. Students from Conifer and telling us how it’s a daily thing to go ice skating on the frozen lake while here in Aurora, we go to the local Chick-fil-a or Sonic after high school athletic games.

With that in mind, I present to you the most iconic and relatable article this school has to offer.

Being born and raised in Colorado, it would be easy to write about how yucky the 16th Street mall is, but I would hope everyone already knows. That being said, I found it important to touch on the stereotypes I think hold true among students at Grandview.

The most notable topic of them all? Subarus.

“I counted it one time actually when going to Winter Park going up and down; we counted like 300 or 600 Subarus in a day from Denver to Winter Park,” stated senior, Ben Abel.

I counted it one time actually when going to Winter Park going up and down; we counted like 300 or 600 Subarus in a day from Denver to Winter Park.

Several student accounts confirmed this high count. Please, If anyone is reading this and not from Colorado, is this normal? – serious question.

You know where else you see a lot of Subarus? King Soopers. There is hardly any parking near our closest locations, and most other states don’t even know what you mean when you mention King Soopers. Until you refer to it as City Market, Krogers, Ralph’s, or Fry’s, they’ll just stare at you blankly. What was that Shakespeare said about a rose by any other name?

The solution is obviously to start a petition imploring Trader Joe’s or even Whole Foods to open locations in Aurora, so we don’t have to drive 30 minutes to Greenwood Village. I know so many suburban moms would have my back on this; at least we could buy the avocados that are always gone in the Colorado Proud section of King Soopers.

Another “Just Colorado” thing is the fact it will be 30 degrees outside, and Grandview boys will still be rocking their shorts with birks and socks. I am all for it, and I never understood why people hate on this incredible fashion sense, but some students could use some advice on achieving this runway look.

“It’s comfy, you can wear ski socks with them, but most people don’t do it right, I don’t know about the whole shorts thing” said Abel. “It’s a fashion statement,” said senior Chris Hansen.

The stereotypes we have here in A town create a community in Colorado so vastly different from California. It has become a method of identification. If Grandview ever enforced a dress code, it would ideally be knee-high shorts, ski socks, Burks or crocs, and a nice Patagonia shirt.

Speaking of outerwear, Skiing and Snowboarding gives Colorado a unique perspective on hats and jackets. The best and most successful outerwear, though, is a debate that polarizes us all.

“North Face [because] it’s warm” said junior Elena Gavigan when asked to choose. However, Abel had a different view, “SAGA. The fabric that they make is very water resistant to wear as a base clothing.”

I mean, have you ever worn a SAGA hoodie? The inside is pretty warm, and I think that beats all competitors like Burton or even North Face hoodies that feel like death when you start doing something active due to having more polyester than cotton.

On that note, we all know the state is known for the beauty and most magnificent mountains ever. Arguably, Colorado also has the most scenic places to go on weekend getaways with friends or family.

“I like Winter Park because that’s where we go the most, but destination wise I like Steamboat,” said Abel.

“Vail! I don’t even have to explain. It’s the best place on earth,” said Gavigan, using this as an actual argument.

Despite the universal charm of Colorado, some students are ready to duck out of here.

“I want to move to Norway or Iceland,” said Gavigan. Hansen added he hoped to move somewhere with a beach, like California.

Luckily, I can rely on kids like Abel to back me up.  “Why would I want to leave Colorado? There’s something special about Colorado. It’s home,” he said.

Yes, Colorado is a fantastic state that used to be a little secret community of natives. Every time I drive downtown, I’m amazed by the constant growth of our community. Sure, the housing market is super high and so are the people, but Colorado is one of a kind.  

The area we come from is what we all have in common. In the end, it’s a big part of what makes us, well, us!

View Comments (1)