Grandview Wolves Make Their Mark

Wednesday, February 7th was a day that 28 senior Wolves will remember for the rest of their lives. This morning, Luke LaFlam, Kevin Clark, Kylie Thompson and 25 of their classmates signed a letter of intent to go to their respective colleges to further their academic and athletic careers.

“It’s [signing day] a dream come true,” said Luke LaFlam, who is going to Arizona State University to play baseball. “It’s been a goal of mine for a while now, and it feels good to have my future set.”

LaFlam and teammate Michael Sermini (Linfield College Oregon) are the two baseball players who signed alongside three basketball, eleven football, five lacrosse, three soccer, two softball, one tennis player and one track and field athlete.

Kevin Clark (right) and Julius Carter (left) after signing their official letters of intent to attend Colorado Mesa and CSU Pueblo, respectively.

One of the eleven football players, Kevin Clark, who will be attending Colorado Mesa University, has been talking to CMU since his sophomore year. “They didn’t officially offer me until this year,” said Clark.

Some athletes have been committed to go to a school since their sophomore year. This verbal commitment is made official the spring of their senior year.

Kylie Thompson, who is headed to Pomona College to play lacrosse, has been talking to the coaches since she was a sophomore. “It was fun signing and getting to a day that I’ve been excited for since freshman year.”

Luke LaFlam (left) and Michael Sermini (right) are the two baseball players who participated in Grandview’s Signing Ceremony.

Luke LaFlam, however, signed to a school that was not on his list until the end of the recruiting process. “They came to watch me play at a tournament in Arizona, and I took a tour right after the game.”

After a couple of visits, LaFlam had fallen in love with the campus, the coaches, and the players, ultimately sealing the deal for his next home, where he will major in Business.

These 28 Wolves are not only athletes, but bright students who are looking forward to the next four years leading into their future.

“I’m trying to major in Criminal Justice/Criminology, and then minor in Psychology,” said Kevin Clark about what he wants his classes to look like next fall.

Kylie Thompson, a four year varsity athlete, will major in Science, Technology and Society, with a concentration in medicine.

Grandview’s signing day was the second biggest group of athletes to finalize their recruitment to a college in Colorado. Below is a full list of all twenty-eight athletes who participated on February 7th.

Baseball

Luke LaFlam- Arizona State University

Michael Sermini- Linfield College Oregon

Basketball

Ben Boone- Colorado School of Mines

Jaiden Galloway- Metro State

Leilah Vigil- University of Missouri Kansas City

Football

Julius Carter- CSU Pueblo

Kevin Clark- Colorado Mesa University

Cameron Cooper- UTEP University of Texas at El Paso

From left to right: Thomas Jenkins (Nebraska Kearney), Aaron Harris (UNC), Kevin Clark (CMU), Luke LaFlam (ASU), Jordan Knapke (USF), Prentice Wilson (Nebraska Wesleyan), Gunner Gentry (UW), Julius Carter (CSU Pueblo), Simote Patterson-Samate (CMU), Kyle Smith (Doane College), Cameron Cooper (UTEP). Photo courtesy of Kevin Clark

Gunner Gentry- University of Wyoming

Aaron Harris- University of Northern Colorado

Thomas TJ Jenkins- Nebraska Kearney

Jackson Kibbee- CSU Pueblo

Jordan Knapke- University of Sioux Falls

Simote Patterson-Samate- Colorado Mesa University

Kyle Smith- Doane College

Prentice Wilson- Nebraska Wesleyan

Lacrosse

Jace Baldwin- Colorado State University

Megan Matthews- Campbell University North Carolina

Grant Miller- Monmouth College

Colby Moore- University of Denver

Kylie Thompson- Pomona College

Soccer

Natalie Beckman- University of Denver

Reagan McCombs- University of Central Arkansas

Morgan Szarka- Creighton University

Softball

Sophia Herrera- Dodge City Community College

Morgan Quimby- Montana State University Billings

Tennis

Kylee Harr (CU Boulder) signs her letter of intent to compete as a track and field athlete at the collegiate level.                                            Photo courtesy of Taylor Harr

Illijah Bailey- Hastings College

Track and Field

Kylee Harr- University of Colorado